-
Distributed/Bethlehem Area School DistrictRenato M. Lajara, as assistant superintendent for Network 8 in Philadelphia School District oversees 15 schools and more than 8,000 students, will take over for Bethlehem Superintendent Jack P. Silva, who will retire June 30.
-
Courtesy/FREDDY AwardsThe Freddy Awards is now in its 24th year. The ceremony will take place on May 21 at State Theatre.
-
High school seniors in Pennsylvania would be required to fill out a form that determines eligibility for financial aid for postsecondary programs under a bill passed by the state Senate.
-
Public school advocates worry vouchers will divert money from public education into charters or private schools.
-
Michael St. Pierre will assume the position as the diocese's fifth superintendent effective Aug. 1, the diocese said in a news release
-
Maria Shantz was one of a group of Republicans who signed a controversial pledge to create policies around gender and rejecting "wokeness."
-
A coalition with wealthy backers is pushing Pennsylvania lawmakers to use public dollars to create tuition vouchers so K-12 students can attend private schools. Gov. Josh Shapiro’s administration is in support of this idea.
-
Take a look at stories that ran throughout the week of which we are most proud, had a profound impact on readers or that you might want to look at again.
-
School board members say a lack of internal controls contributed to the problems. They say the situation is being fixed.
-
Dean M. Donaher is a former teacher, principal and administrator in the Bethlehem Area School District. He'll take the helm effective July 17 at Bethlehem Catholic.
-
Allentown School District officials said the proposal to allow schools in industrial zones was "simply not good planning" and not safe for children.
-
Building projects that would address overcrowding in the Parkland School District will cost between $169 million and $391 million, according to a presentation at the school board meeting this week.
-
Youth mentors from Allentown and Easton will host workshops about bicycle riding during a multi-day conference slated for June.
-
A $1 million state grant funded Bethlehem Area School Board's purchase of the buses as well as the related infrastructure and job training to implement the changes.
-
Hosted by the Northampton County Conservation District, the Envirothon is scheduled for April 18 at Louise W. Moore County Park. Teams will be tested in a handful of different topics, including wildlife, forestry, soils and land use, aquatic ecology and a current environmental issue.
-
East Penn School District took another look at the 2024-2025 budget will a focus on priority project spending on April 8, highlighting around $2 million in special education and administrative expenses.
-
The event's theme this year is "All Jazzed Up," and students shared what they're excited — or jazzed up — about in their own lives.
-
Lower Saucon council unanimously agreed on Wednesday to have Police Chief Thomas Barndt go before school officials to gather opinions before potentially moving forward on a school resource officer.
-
You Are The Light is a recognition program in the Allentown School District that celebrates staff and students. The district selects honorees each month to be featured on LehighValleyNews.com.
-
The Northampton County District Attorney’s Office and Lower Saucon Township police have announced additional charges in connection with bomb threats made in the school district last week.
-
East Penn administrators pushed for a slate of new hires to the district, making permanent temporary positions that were created from COVID relief funding.
-
Raise taxes, dip into the fund balance, cut expenses — or a mix of all three to balance the budget for the incoming year? Bethlehem school district officials will make the final call in June.
-
The Northampton County District Attorney's Office says charges have been filed in juvenile court against a girl in relation to bomb threats made in Saucon Valley School District this week.
-
Lower Saucon Township police say they once again found no evidence to corroborate a threat made Wednesday night. It was the second reported threat that prompted a second-straight day for closing the schools.